Wednesday 21 January 2015

OUGD503: Secret 7" Born Slippy



I restarted the process again, I felt the stronger style to go with was my detailed style. After sketching and outlining I scanned in the image at a high resolution to save time on outlining the image digitally again.





The colours I chose to use were all very nineties, I wanted to reference the decade the song was released in and being very inspired by Trainspotting (a film the song featured in) I made the guy look a little like Ewan Mcgreggor's character from the film. 




In keeping with the tone of the decade and still inspired by the film I wanted to add a drugs element to the cover. The song is defiantly a rave song so I felt LSD (a drug taken at many a rave) would be a suitable drug to use for the design and also make a good repeated pattern. I researched into LSD pill designs and replicated five of these in strong 'trippy' colours.






Although the backdrop and illustration worked well together I didn't feel I had quite captured the full extent of the psychedelic feel I wanted so I warped the background to make it look like you were staring at it whilst high as a kite.




Once again I felt I could push the image further, the character in the drawing is clearly tripping on something, and the serious style of the illustration failed to represent that in the way the background did and so I decided to turn him into a block pattern to make it look as though he was fading into the trip.


From this vectorised form I ended up submitted three designs, the illustration and background together, just the vector guy and just the background. And I certainly feel that they capture the 90's feel whilst remaining in a clean 10's style, oh and they're trippy as hell. 









No comments:

Post a Comment