Thursday 8 January 2015

OUGD504: SB4- Evaluation

I was genuinely exciting by the idea of studio brief 4, augmented design was always something that interested me, unfortunately I think I only realised the full potential of it after I had created everything and when it was way too late to back track and start it all again. I think it would’ve been better to categorise the brief as ‘interactive design’ as opposed to augmented, I was rather fixated on the idea that the audience had to use a phone, or an app and produce some ‘virtual reality’ when really it could’ve been anything that physically engages the public and causes them to interact with the advert. Still, I did enjoy my final outcome eventually.

Of course I had my major mistake moment, like I always do with every brief ever. This one came with the physical production of my designs, like it usually does. I was really pleased with my concept and my ideas (like I usually am) but for some reason I had it in my head that I was going to use a photograph to create the dank and full of flowers landscapes. See, if I had had more time, over the course of a year I would take two photos of the same field, one full of wild flowers in the height of summer and the second with the barren and empty landscape in the autumn or winter. But seeing as I didn’t have the time frame to do that I simply caused myself endless frustration trying to Photoshop flowers into an empty field. No matter how hard I tried the flowers looked fake and just didn’t fit with the landscape. However, I’m glad I had this major mistake because it caused me to change my approach and style. I ended up producing a vectorised cartoon style image that I really like. It suits the family and children demographic I had been aiming for much better than the photograph idea and it feels more ‘my style’.

I do have one major problem with my final designs though, and it’s that the ‘before’ image looks really boring (that and I wish I had put something like ‘download the app or scan QR code to see a transformation’ instead of ‘Use your phone to interact’, so clunky). In comparison to my field full of flowers with a happy little bee it just feels so dull. I suppose that was the point but I don’t think it would grab anyone’s attention; no one would interact with it. I think a better choice would’ve been the positive image that becomes animated once you interact with it, or that the poster smells of wild flowers. This is the problem with my concept though, I’ve tried to give the scary shock factor common with most conservation posters but also leave people with a positive feeling at the end. The vectorised style suits the happy ending but the photograph I feel would’ve best suited the dull start- perhaps a combination of both styles would’ve worked? Who knows?

I have one more hiccough with this brief and it’s my seed paper. The seed paper was a key part of the physical side of the campaign, something people could plant, something to hold. But annoyingly, despite ordering the paper 2 weeks ago and paying for first class delivery, it still hasn’t arrived which is really frustrating. It feels like a key component of my idea is missing and that’s genuinely sad. I can add it later yes, but by then it’s too late.

Overall, I do like what I’ve produced, I could do better, I always can, but despite a few problems and a lack of seed filled paper I think the campaign works. It’s not so much about advertising the website as it is about encouraging people to engage in home conservation and providing information about bumble bees and I think that’s what it’s achieved.


No comments:

Post a Comment