Wednesday 9 March 2016

OUGD603: Penguin Design Award- Development


The typeface I chose is century gothic, a modernised version of Twentieth Century, a typeface created around the same time that art nouveau was highly popular so it ties neatly into the style of the design. I produced some filigree shapes inspired by the patterns used on the covers and within the nouveau style to balance the text on the page. I added the 'leaf' as a suggestion towards the shape of a vagina, just to push the vagina and body hair concept further.







After experimenting with different colours and layouts I settled on the soft green. This colour is present in a lot of nouveau images and it also adds a feeling of nature and the natural world to the design, a feature also often used in nouveau, after a quick crit with a few people the colour was also selected as the favourite. When I first saw the image in green the first thing that came to mind was 'lady garden', one of the nicknames used for the vagina, this isn't necessarily part of the concept but just an inside joke for me.


When it came to adding the extra information onto the design at first I struggled to balance all of the content onto the image without it become overcrowded. I was able to add the quotes to the front cover but wasn't able to make space for the 'galaxy book award of the year' especially with so much of the space taken up by the decorative pubes. So I looked back into my visual research and decided to add a flowing banner, the content could over flow into the green and still remain legible.


The addition of the banner really made the front cover pop more and added an extra element to the design. It was a happy accident out of necessity that worked out well.


Creating the back cover and the spine was relatively easy. I kept the back cover a reflected and simplified version of the front cover and used condensed design elements from the front in the spine. Finally, being rather happy with everything I prepared the file for submission and entered it into the penguin design award.




No comments:

Post a Comment