Friday 22 May 2015

OUGD505: Module Evaluation

Over the course of this module I pushed myself, I wanted to achieve something complicated and refresh and expand upon skills I'd learnt. With studio brief one I attempted a project which I don't think I'd have dared to do in the previous year, making books is something I do enjoy doing but increasing the complexity of the binding process was a challenge that I took on joyfully. I enjoyed the research process required throughout the module, not only into science denial, which was very interesting to explore in depth, but also with supporting research to create my final product. Researching and experimenting were essential in making a successful piece and this was one of the few modules I didn't trudge through it begrudgingly, I genuinely liked making little experiments, comparing my product to existing products on the market, understanding my book's content and watching and reading videos and articles on science denial, homeopathy and anti vaccination. I would be lying if I said it was easy though, despite all my research and experimentation I still produced two dud versions of the book and three useless covers, picking myself up after something goes wrong has always been an issue of mine, I'm more of a 'it has to go perfect first time' kind of a person and so dealing with mistakes was new to me. This project however, it didn't bother me anywhere near as much, instead it was just a matter of saying 'ok, what went wrong this time, what do I need to better next time?' and then applying it, each time the book got better and better. Unfortunately the final book still has some errors and due to lack on time and print slots I had to call it enough, though I know now if I was going to produce it again, it would be better still.



Throughout studio brief two I pushed my ideas conceptually and my practical skills in production, I enjoyed pulling away from illustrative responses and relying more on type, layout and conceptual based visuals to solve the brief. It was enjoyable screen printing again for this brief, although time consuming, it's a skill that I don't want to loose and instead wanted to expand upon, I did this by learning how to foil an image. I had worried with my final design for this brief that could potentially be so simple it became boring, however using foiling really added a subtle detail to the piece and I think kept it intriguing yet minimal. I think I'm beginning to break into a new style of design that isn't necessarily reliant on my ability to illustrate, it's strange but rather freeing to work with ideas and areas I wouldn't have considered previously. I think I used my drawing ability as a crutch, although I'm good at it I've begun to realise it's not an appropriate response to most of my problems and instead I come out with stronger solutions when I apply strong ideas and concept to a brief rather than trying to get some form of drawing in there. Of course I say that and yet my book for studio brief one is highly illustrative with less focus on layout and type, it was more an exercise in construction than it was a strong graphic piece of work, I don't think that matters too much though, it would be impossible to create a children's pop up book and not include illustrations somewhere. I think perhaps I was determined to do one final big illustrative project before I put drawing on the back burner to focus on other things, it was a good send off at least.




Overall I like my work, and oddly I prefer my response to studio brief two because it's none illustrative. I still like the book, it's construction and final clean vector look does appeal to me, but it's just a sign that I'm growing as a designer, I'm gaining a style and I'm breaking away from a skill that I used to rely on far too much that it prevented me from really growing. It's exciting and I'm genuinely looking forwards to producing more graphic based work over the summer and across the third and final year.

No comments:

Post a Comment