Monday 11 May 2015

OUGD505: Studio Brief 1- Development

I began to digitise the various illustrations required for the book as well as the front cover. I had initially wanted to use a style with very bold outlines, however, it proved more suitable and a better look overall to keep them simple and vectorised. Although I am aware I'm designing a book for children, I also want to produce something that is beautifully designed too so treading a line between the two is my overall aim. As long as it's still appropriate for the target audience (which I think it is thanks to the bright colours and lack of complication in the images) then it works.



The title font I chose for the publication is called 'DJB This is Me' and the body font is Avenir Medium.




I chose this is me as it's a friendly, casual and approachable font. It also looks childish in its production. I wanted the titles and questions to appear as if a child/the audience wrote them to further connect the reader to the information. I also wanted the tone of voice to not be dominating or authoritative, this font makes sure that when reading the titles the voice seems friendly and safe.

I chose avenir medium as my main text font as it's easy to read but still friendly and casual. It was very important to select a font that was legible and readable but with a suitable tone, avenir does all of these things well. It's easy to read and understand and has a rounded, safe and friendly character.




Using my sketches as well as the developed illustrations I began to set out the pages. I made sure to size up each added pop up and illustration for each page and leave markers that would make the final production of the book easier. Although certain pages required black backgrounds due to their illustrations I wanted to add sky based colours to the others, I feared over using black would make the pages very dull to a child and although there are illustrations and interactions I still wanted to brighten up whichever pages I could.




No comments:

Post a Comment