Monday 20 April 2015

OUGD505: Further Research- Questions and Illustrative styles

For the series of books I need to find out different sets of questions to be solved through the story, hopefully different questions relating to different scientific topics, physics, chemistry etc.

To begin with I needed to get my age down, what age will the children be who are reading these books? I wanted to keep it young enough to be a short simple story but also needed the age to be old enough to understand the words that are being read to them.

I thought that going for an age of about 5 for the youngest and 10 for the oldest would be the best bet.

The format of the book would need to have questions that have scientific answers but also various other answers including mythological, religious and 'because it is and always has been' in order for the flow of the book to work, though this can be changed.

Some questions I'd like to look into for some initial stories are:

Why is the sky blue?

Why do we cry?

How does a plane fly?

Why do birds tweet?

Why does the camel look so funny?

Why does fire burn?


First Look into Children's Books: The Design Museum Shop

When visiting the design museum I popped into the shop there and had a look at their children's books, I wanted to see some examples of well designed kids books.








This last one really inspired me, it has given me the idea to create a pop up book, something interactive that will really connect young readers to the facts and information contained within the story.







No comments:

Post a Comment