Tuesday 25 November 2014

OUGD503: Feathr Brief- Digital Development and Submission

As far as developing this design went- it was a pretty straight forward process. I had a very clear image of how I wanted the final design to look and so all I had to do digitally was outline my sketches and align everything neatly. 

I had wanted to add some dog based items for decoration but decided against this as I feel the strength of this design comes from it's simplicity and bold lines and adding too much detail would ruin this.


For the motto I wanted to use a friendly hand drawn looking font, but something that remained a san serif and not script like. Just like with the line work the font needed to be bold, simple and friendly as an overly detailed font choice would've ruined the design; it needed to match the illustration as much as possible. Looking on Behance I found the profile of one James Lafuente, and his creation Parker. 



Although the font Parker can only be used in all caps, and I had initially wanted something in all lower case, I really felt like Parker was suitable for the design. The soft edges and bold lines accompanied the drawings well and didn't over power the image despite it's all caps design.


I submitted my design and chose the style of repeated tile it would use and overall, I like it, I really do. The one problem I found whilst browsing the vote section of the Feathr competition was that a lot of people had opted for complex patterns and very detailed designs which look great as single tiles but, in my opinion, produce quite blurry eyed epileptic feel when repeated across an entire wall. If I were to walk past these designs too quickly it would make my eyes feel very funny. 






So for my design I felt it was important to me to produce a large simple tile that when repeated produced a nice looking pattern but also one that wasn't 'too much' for the wall. It has to be interesting yes, artistic, certainly, but also not over the top, and that I feel I've achieved with my Pug Coat of Arms. It would work on a feature wall or covering an entire room. The neutral black and white colours means it could work in many different ways with many different types of rooms.

I like it, I just sincerely hope others do too.




I also did what I hate doing the most, forceful self promotion, I really want to win this thing so I need to push people. Hopefully it will work out, I may not win, but as long as someone loves my design then I'm pretty successful. 

Click here to vote for A lot in a Little Package





No comments:

Post a Comment