Tuesday 11 November 2014

OUGD504: SB3- Final Crit and Final Developments

Today I received feedback on my web page designs, and although I didn't feel hugely confident in them I received some praise as well as very helpful criticisms. 

The main issue brought to my attention was the use of space and the lack of white space. It was suggested that I work with a larger 'scrolling' page to allow more space for my content and to gain the valuable empty space all designers crave. 

Other tips and hints included using my logo as the 'home' button for every page, removing the coloured bar from the links and leaving them on a white background and use the smaller decorative hexagons I had included as a means to focus user attention and direct a persons gaze across the pages. 
So I went back into illustrator and began playing about, adding in the suggestions given to me.
The results were almost instantaneous and rather pleasing. 













I dropped the hexagonal grid, having used it to space apart my images and factoids I decided to rely on a graph style grid to layout the rest of the page. I chose to keep my content, and most of the design, centred so as not to over crowd the space as I had done with my previous mock ups. 

I also added an extra page, the contact page, because as I rearranged the links, it felt unbalanced having all four at the top (and the logo citing as the home page link) and placing 'external links' alone at the bottom felt equally unbalanced. Adding a new page allowed for better use of the space.

I decided, seeing as my coding abilities are little to none existent, I would be producing GIFs to simulate certain experiences with the site (clicking links, scrolling down pages, etc) and only produce the bare and accessible minimum in code (e.g. font, type size and colour, links and headers etc).
GIF showing hover and clicked versions of a page link


GIF showing hover and click for an external page link


No comments:

Post a Comment