Monday 9 March 2015

OUGD503: Penguin Brief Final Developments


Following my inspiration to create an infographic for the cover I began to read through the book looking for suitable data to display as the front cover. 






There were a few options but the one that caught my eye the most was the corruption of mankind displayed through honest payment of bagels. The set of statistics about this subjects tackled a huge moral issue and yet displayed it's results through the anonymous payment of bagels- this is what the whole book is about, tough stats conveyed in a simple and fun way and the look of bagels already provided strong visuals to display the information through so I chose it.


The data to display:

The key- honest 90% or above, annoying but tolerable 80-90%, dishonest 80% or lower.
The stats- within his own company 95%, 1992-2001 87%, post 9/11 89%.



To display the key information I used a 'bagel' chart, I also wanted to create a wrap around cover that would flow from front to back naturally, the design isn't just about the front, it's for the entire book. This also meant I had more space to experiment with. I used avenir as the text because it's thin and delicate meaning that once the content text was overlaid on top of it there would be no damage to the readability. 



For the cover type I chose helvetica, not only did it contrast strongly with the thin rounded strokes of avenir but it's also the type used on the current cover. I wanted to make sure there was some connection to the previous design so that fans of the book could still find some familiarity with the the new cover design.



No comments:

Post a Comment