Wednesday 25 March 2015

OUGD503: Penguin- Evaluation


This was a very drawn out brief and one of my two longest running ones. At many points I didn't think I would like the end product and at certain others I felt like giving up, however, persistence and research were my saviours. Although I had the longest amount of time on this brief I don't think it helped, all it made me do was put it off tell myself there would be plenty of time later to do it, this caused me to loose my motivation and it was only when the competition deadline was looming that I finally got into gear and produced a final design. There were three rounds of idea generation with the project, every time I felt like I was onto something digitising the idea quickly made it fall apart. The reason why many of my ideas didn't hold up is because their concepts were minimal and barely existent I was think purely visually rather than conceptually and it showed in my work. However once I actually sat myself down and read Freakonomics, something I had been putting off for a long time, I came up with a strong idea that directly linked to the book. This was the brief where I began to expand my ideas of research, I started by simply looking at examples of economics based covers, but eventually ended in reading the book and studying infographics as a means of research- it certainly benefitted the final design. 

The improvements I feel could be made with the final design include experimenting a little more with colour and font choices instead of just relying on helvetica (the font already used on the current cover). Though concept wise I think I've done well and I enjoy the final design, it communicates what I wanted it too and sums up the character and tone of the book pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment