Thursday 2 October 2014

OUGD504: Studio Brief 1- Fading Opacity

The idea behind this design was to attempt to show the design process as segments that may exist as separate sections but only make sense as complete whole. The increasing opacity in the pages represent the process idea starting vague and see through and becoming clearer/fuller as it develops. 

So for the first part of sections becoming a whole, I thought using a mixture of layered text and illustration would express the idea well. On each page a line of the process would be written as well as the illustration for another part- the words and images only align correctly when all four pages are together.

I decided to use the pocket fold template that I had produced during one of our studio sessions as a way to keep the pages together.

I sketched out my layout idea and looked into different images to represent each process as well as considering which styles of fonts would best suite the word it was describing.

Research was illustrated by a book and helvetica was considered for it's font.
A brain with cogs represented ideas and I thought about having a classic serif font would suit it.
Development was shown as jigsaw pieces and a thin san serif typeface for it's font.
And finally a speech bubble embodied feedback with the idea for a geometrical san serif type for it's font.


I planned out which words would go with which drawings on each page and drew myself a little sketch guide so I wouldn't forget when it came to producing the pages. 



I then went into inDesign, measured up an appropriate page size and began looking for fonts that suited each category. I felt initially that the one on the left (pictured) was weaker in comparison to the one on the left, however when I printed both out for comparison and asked which was preferred by some of my class mates, it was suggested that the left one was indeed stronger.




Next I cut out individual pages from four different stocks varying in opacity (acetate, tissue paper, tracing paper and cartridge paper) and drew a grid around the words so they lined up properly on each page. This was followed by drawing out neater versions of the illustrations into a similar grid ready to be outlined.




As I began to layer each page over its word and draw over it using a light box I realised that I had intact typed feeback, instead of feedback and not I nor any of my friends had noticed (it had been a really long day by this point) so I went back into indesign, and using the same layout as before typed the correct word. 



After finishing the first four pages I was really pleased with the result. I think for the first time as a designer an idea came out exactly how I was planning it too so I was chuffed to bits. Some people mentioned however, that the ordering of the words and pages made it very difficult to see the word development through it's image. I decided to try and draw out the words again in a different order so that each picture and word could be seen clearly.





The new ordering did indeed make it easier to read all of the words. Placing the thinner text nearer the front and the thicker text near the back allowed all words to be readable despite the layering fading the bad words out slightly.





After finishing the inside content I then began to think about the cover, I decided I wanted to use the scrunched up pattern that I had created earlier, one to tie int he idea of being a messy, imperfect designer who throws thing away too often and secondly to make use of all the time I spent producing it.


So I took it into a new document, measured up all the sections I would need for my fold and began to tweak the design. I thought perhaps having some of the creases coloured in block would bring a nice bit of variety to the pattern. I used the font Ostrich Sans for the title (it was also the font I used for the word development) and tried to align it with where one fold of paper would tuck under another.


After printing the cover I had a mini brain wave to bind the pages with the cover making it more like a little book let as opposed to a leaflet. I then proceeded to punch some holes into the side and the pages to bind then when I bought some string tomorrow. This is what I will be taking with me to the crit the following day. 






No comments:

Post a Comment