Friday 10 October 2014

OUGD504: Studio Brief 2- Development

In order to develop my three ideas further I had to begin digitising my sketches. I began by flicking through font book looking for fonts I felt were suitable for the design. I wanted something chunky but soft, bold and interesting without being overpowering and dominating, I still wanted a friendly, yet confident feel when it came to typefaces. So I picked out a list of fonts I felt were most suitable and wrote Pints of Cake with them to see how the word would look as a final shape.

Font choices in order:

CanCan de Bois
Eurostile Bold
Franchise
Leberkass Grotesque (with 2pt stroke to make it bolder)
Ostrich Sans Black
Poplar Std
Telegrafico


The first idea I started with was the layered pint. I tried using leberkass grotesque first, stretching the words into place so as to get a feel of what it would look like whilst building up the layers for the pint. Following the advice given in the Logo book I had read for my research I designed the logo shape in black and white to make sure the design looked good before playing about with colour.


I produced a few different black and white versions with various fonts, my favourite font choice ended up being Poplar Std, it proved chunky, bold enough to seem fun and stand outish, yet rounded enough to not become dominant and threatening. 

I then headed over to ColourLovers, a website hosting thousands of different colour pallets and collections to search for some different colour schemes for my logo. After typing 'cake' into the search bar I was surrounded by many different options. I picked out four seemingly suitable colour pallets and began to experiment with different colours as well as trying out patterned and block versions of the logo. 

I have some issues with this design, other than its many colours making it very costly to print on paper or t-shirt formats. The hierarchy of the type as well just feels off to me, the eye is draw to 'OF' before anything else and this kind of messes up the readability of the name. 


I then moved onto my second and third ideas. I created a cleaner digitised version of my 'pint of cake' sketch and stretched out the A in cake to create the triangle text versions. Honestly though, on their own both designs felt like they were lacking something, and especially in comparison to my first design they just felt boring.




However I then had the idea to combine the two and they balanced each other out very well. I continued to play around with font choices and whether to have a pointed or rounded apex on the A's. Once again Poplar Std turned out to be my favourite font choice for the same reasons as listed above.



Now came the difficult bit, throughout the process of development I've had dribs and drabs of feedback  from various 'over the shoulder' watchers and 'what are you doing' enthusiasts. Majority of these people rave for the layered idea and dismiss the illustrative idea, but some people, and myself say they prefer the illustrative one.

Personally I feel the second one is the most versatile, the illustration can work on it's own as well as with the text for a purely image based logo, and the potential contexts it can fit into is larger than that of the layered idea. Either way, the next stage for me is to place both these ideas into context and see which one feels most at home. 



No comments:

Post a Comment