Thursday 16 October 2014

OUGD504: Studio Brief 2- Evaluation

   I found myself stumped and split through this brief. Every time I felt certain about an idea it seemed the majority would pull me in another direction. It was a good lesson in whether to listen to peer feedback or my own intuition. When it came to my initial ideas I didn’t feel being obvious with the sketches was a good idea and I struggled to think of how pints of cake could be represented conceptually or cleverly. However, when it came to the group crit majority of people said being obvious wasn’t a bad thing. In a way being obvious probably communicated the personality of ‘Pints of Cake’ rather than being mysterious and conceptual. The group themselves are artistic and a little weird so displaying a pint of cake represents that odd uniqueness well. I was also torn slightly in the crit as out of all my designs the one I hated most had been selected to be developed further.

   Throughout my development I worked on the popular choice and grew to like it more, but I still felt like it was weak, the readability was all messed up and although it communicated a pint made of cake, it didn’t feel ‘quirky’ enough. Also I struggled to find a good neutral colour scheme to work with it. Every pallet I chose looked too feminine and for me I feel that would’ve excluded male audience members, seeing how this site is creative but not targeted at any specific gender I felt the design was unsuitable for it’s purpose. Despite this most people still selected the idea I didn’t over the one I did, but I made the decision here to stop listening to feedback. I had taken into account most feedback so far and although some helped, most of it just hindered and confused me, so I stuck to my artistic intuition and pressed on further with my second and preferred idea.

   After developing my preferred idea I was then stumped as to how to lay it out. The way I had laid it out in illustrator made it look good, but when I tried to place it into various contexts the layout I had first used wasn’t appropriate, it didn’t fit and it looked very awkward and out on place. So I experimented with different layout styles, and despite the fact that none of them suited all the contexts it opened up the potential for the logo to be manipulated into different shapes for different formats, it made the whole design more flexible. I found the most suitable layout for the logo was placing inside a rounded square, a design inspired by beer mats linking the design to the tag line ‘Pub crawl or Pud crawl’ (I had also wanted to display the logo on icing or dusting on top of a cupcake, however I didn’t have time, or the culinary and template skills to produce this).


  I feel my final idea was a suitable design; it was quirky, unique and playful. I feel the adaptability of the logo makes it useful in a variety of contexts, however the most appropriate format for it to exist in is a digital one. This I believe is the designs only downfall, it wouldn’t work very well in black and white and due to the number of colours it may prove quite expensive to print. Despite sending the final designs back to the client last week, I still haven’t received any feedback from them, so this could be an even bigger problem with the designs; the clients themselves didn’t like them, or find them suitable. I sincerely hope this isn’t the case and she just hasn’t checked her email yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment