Wednesday 1 October 2014

OUGD504: Studio Brief 1- Initial Ideas

In total I have four different ideas.




1- The first is a split in two, gate fold leaflet that depicts the expectation of a design process against the reality of what actually happens. I always begin a project with an intention to be professional, well organised and thorough (the expectation), and usually end up leaving everything to the last minute, panicking and rushing the design I produce to the point where I hate the product, the concept and myself (the reality). I would use two different designs for each side as well as different tones of voice, it would end up begin quite a humorous and honest leaflet.

2- The second is a more conceptual approach to the design process. Using possibly a pocket fold and adding additional pages to it I would write out the design process on pages slowly growing more opaque the further through the booklet you get. The beginning page see through acetate, the second tracing paper, the third tissue paper until it finally ends with thick opaque card. This would represent the filling out of an idea and the final product/design becoming 'clearer' and more defined as the design process is followed. 

3- The third is a poster style leaflet that doesn't fold into a neat fold, instead it would become a scrunched up piece of paper that is smoothed out to reveal the content. This conceptually represents my feelings on my own work and design process (the 'ah fuck, just throw it in the bin' approach) and the mess I usually get myself into by leaving a lot of things to the last minute. I feel like this is not only an accurate display of my process, but also a rather unique approach to a folded leaflet, the only worry I have is that the final display would look rather messy- though isn't that, like, the whole point?

4- The final idea I have is a concertina fold flow chart. Each page of the concertina booklet will depict one section of the process but when folded out you see the flow of the process in it's entirety (the 'you only see the big picture when you step back' concept). It could potentially be quite humorous if dotted about with small doodles (as a lot of my work books are) and drawn out in a rather sketchy way. 



Mini Crit

After talking though some of my ideas with a few peers, I have so far narrowed down my ideas to number 2 and 3. They agreed these are the most unique and conceptual ideas that I have produced. It was explained to me that number two makes use of different materials and would be a very clean design with a very clear concept whilst number three is unique and personal and an interesting take on the folded idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment