Sunday 22 May 2016

OUGD603: GF Smith- Evaluation

This brief was an enjoyable one. I love to use print as much as possible so to have an entire brief structured around it, for a print festival, it was pleasant. Although I have designed to size restraints before I have never produced something with colour restraints so it was an interesting way to generate ideas when the colour could not change. Although there wasn't a lot of research involved in history or understanding it took longer than I had assumed to analyse the layouts of entomology cabinets and I certainly received a fair bit of education in entomology specifically when it came to yellow and black insects (most of whose scientific names I can still recite).

In terms of creative challenges, I can honestly say there weren't many. I believe this is the first brief I've encountered where my first idea sees it to production. Though there were some issues here and there with print sizes and preparing the screens, it's just natural to assume this comes with physically printing an idea- it never goes exactly how you want it to, which is why it's a medium I enjoy so much.

The biggest thing I got from this brief was the reintroduction to my love of print and an insight into what I want to do when I leave university. From the Christmas wrapping paper brief I was ready to leave screen printing alone for a long time, however working on these prints made me realise how much I missed it. I couldn't leave this brief alone- even extending it to print onto tote bags in order to produce more sellable content. Printing and selling designs is something I definitely want to pursue after I graduate and perhaps something I have thought about setting up a business in, but only now, and really only after this brief do I feel like I could confidently achieve it. 

If I were to repeat this brief again I don't think I would've done much different. I think I would change a few things, take more time when printing, make sure the black ink isn't blotchy, order more stock to get more prints and wipe my hands clean to avoid ruining designs with blotchy fingers but with all that said and done, this went as well as one could hope a brief goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment