Friday 22 April 2016

OUGD603: Presidential Campaign- Initial Ideas and Sketches


When I first began coming up for visuals to my own campaign, I struggled. For some reason I leapt to using a scarf I owned as a platform and inspiration for my designs. I figured, it's about me, I wear this scarf a lot, makes sense (dumb I know). However I was very quick to realise how this simply didn't translate as an idea, the digitised versions of the scarf were very chaotic and overwhelming, there was certainly no place for any type without the whole design becoming a crowded mess so I quickly threw away that idea and began experimenting with lots of different sketches.




A lot of my sketches became purely visual based ideas and I struggled with various compositions and just coming up with an original ideas. Honestly, despite my research and understanding I was struggling to generate one decent idea.










So I took a break from sketching and went back to my core principles, what did I want to say in this campaign? What message did I want to get across? I realised I had three main points to my manifesto and that I wasn't advertising myself, I was advertising these core principles to students. It would be my manifesto and what I aimed to achieve that would get me votes rather than me personally and so I used them to generate a design.

Three Core Principles:
More collaboration across the college's campuses, year groups and subjects.
Generate and find external and live briefs from the Leeds community for students to participate in.
Student projects get more support from the union exhibitions, events or societies.


I wrote out each of my points and summarised what they meant to me and would mean to other students trying to tie them all together with a strong tagline. Which is when I came up with 'making the most of...', this slogan gave a positive and strong message and translated well into each of my three points. Collaboration- Making the most of each other, External briefs- Making the most of Leeds, Student led projects- Making the most of you.

The tagline conveyed the tone of voice that I was after and also meant that my policies became the heart of my campaign rather than focusing in on myself. I decided to add a summary of each of my manifesto points to each poster to give brief detail and clarity to the main uplifting message. This meant I could also have my manifesto across a far wider range of touch points meaning that it would reach a larger audience.















No comments:

Post a Comment