Wednesday 2 April 2014

OUGD404: Type Journal

Book Cover Type


I'm not a big fan of script fonts, there's something inherently messy about them that never appealed to me, this typeface here shows characteristics of a script font and it too doesn't particularly appeal to me. The italicised lower case letters lean in the style of hand written text and despite not joining together like with most script fonts, they show the variation in stroke width with their tapered ends and the detailed flourishes (such as flicks on the end of the stems/ascenders). Usually these fonts indicate a feeling of human detail and add a personal touch to typography, however, personally, these fonts don't really speak to me. All I can characterise from the type is handwritten, flowing and subtle smoothness. However I then feel that this type doesn't actually 'flow' the kerning between each glyph breaks the flow of the individual letterform making the styles clash, and in my opinion and this really bugs me.

No comments:

Post a Comment